Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Happy New Year, Readers Young and Old... a message from Rick Riordan

Here is a link to a wonderful message from my current favorite author, Rick Riordan. He's the author of the Percy Jackson books. Whenever I read one of his books not only am I sucked in and can't get enough, but I feel an overwhelming desire to write. He inspires me.

Now I've struggled with a few writers about who my readership is. I feel the closest to a Middle Grade audience. That's 9-12 but honestly it could go a little higher. Maybe it's because I'm still a kid at heart but I can relate with their fears and I hope my books reach out to them on some level.

Rick Riordan puts it best in his article... http://rickriordan.blogspot.com/2013/01/new-years-thoughts-redux.html.

My favorite part is this statement...
"Just because children are the protagonists does not make it a children’s book." I wish people who say all books with kid protagonists HAVE to be Middle Grade would listen to him.

Anyway, I wanted to share this with my followers.

No comments: