Saturday, April 27, 2013

The A to Z Challenge! X is for X marks the spot!


X is for X marks the spot! Pirates! OK, I get that pirates starts with a P but I just couldn't help it.

The Night Children series covers a lot of history. The idea is that Annabelle and Roland would experience 300 years of American history. In book two, NIGHT CHILDREN: DARK CHANGES, Roland becomes a pirate and sails the open seas.

To properly depict this I researched pirates. I discovered several men and even a couple women whom lived dangerous lives on the open sea. I even wrote a scene where several cameo in the book. Roland meets Calico Jack, Anne Bonny and Mary Read...


Captain Bartholomew Roberts (known as Black Bart)...



and even Blackbeard himself...



It was fun including all these pirates. A beta reader pointed out that they really have no purpose in the book seeing as they only appear in one chapter. He's got a lot of points about this second revision so I need to cut stuff and rewrite a lot more. I hope to be able to do more with these historical figures.

No comments: