Saturday, January 19, 2013

Movie Review: The Hobbit -Spoilers-


I saw the Hobbit last week. Earlier in the year I reread the book. I read it when I was 12 but that was a long time ago. So I felt that if I was going to see the movie. I'd better have an understanding of the original story.

I've spoken to some who have seen the film and heard their reviews. They felt the additions to the story were not needed and detracted from the film. I do not agree. I really liked how they added more depth to the back story. I felt that have a stronger depth to Thorin Oakenshield.

I didn't ind the addition of the white orc or how he was substituted for the goblins during the forest battle. I enjoyed the action and the fun and appreciated the dramatic moments of the film. The goblins eagles, and wargs were just as I expected. I also liked the White Consul. I think it makes sense that there would be a small gathering of leaders to plan and watch for bigger threats. I got a kick out of the scene with old Bilbo and Frodo. It was taken from the beginning of the Fellowship book so it was good finally seeing that scene.

It was good to see Sir Ian McKellen again as Gandalf. While Sherlock star Martin Freeman did a perfect job as Bilbo. Andy Serkis gave me chills as Golum. Very inspirational for my writing.

So all in all I loved the film. Can't wait for the blue ray.

Of course some think it could have ended differently...

No comments: