Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My Top Ten Sci Fi Heroes

In honor of the world shattering news last week that George Lucas sold all of his entire Star Wars/ Lucasfilm empire to Disney, I thought I'd present my top ten favorite Sci Fi heroes.

First though, my take on the news. I'm actually OK with it. I was worried after Disney bought Marvel but they seem to only want to bankroll Marvel, allowing the company to do more and stick with their own agendas.

I feel it will be the same with Lucasfilm. Besides, I've been waiting forever for episodes 7,8 and 9. Sure, I realise my favorite characters, Luke, Han and Leia, might be old and pass the baton to a new generation, but it still gets me excited.

I never cared for Anikin and cared less about how things wound up the way they did before episode four. I just wanted to see more of my favorites. Sure, that may not be the case but I'll remain optimistic.

Anyway, here are my top ten Sci Fi heroes...

#1 The Doctor


The immortal Time Lord from Gallifrey from the iconic show Doctor Who is my current favorite Sci Fi hero. Eleven men have played the role thanks to the fact that this character can regenerate into a new man once he's been severely wounded. The story has gotten better and better and I never know what's going to happen. The Doctor is completely alien, a child, yet a very mature senior. He's top of my list.

#2 Luke Skywalker


Sure, Luke was a whiny brat in episode four, but I've always enjoyed how he grew into the role. I like how he cares for his friends, never backs down in a fight, improvises in any sticky situation and always sees the best in others. I'm all for optimistic roll models and Luke has that in spades. Plus I've always kinda related with him. Mark Hamill played Luke well but I do find it ironic that I prefer his Joker over anyone else. Honourable mentions: Captain Jack Harkness and Donna Noble.

#3 Han Solo


There's something about the devil-may-care rouge ands no one plays one better than Harrison Ford. He may side with the enemy but you know deep down he's a hero, even when he's reluctant about it. Some of the best stories involve a character who only thinks for him or herself but gets involved in the challenge and then does the right thing. While I pretended to be Luke as a child, some of my friends wanted to be Han. Honorable mentions: Princess Leia and Chewbacca.

#4 Jack Carter



Colin Ferguson played an average guy Sheriff Jack Carter working in a world of wacky scientists in Sci Fy's Eureka. He presented the average Joe type whom I could truly identify with. I'm sure going to miss the show. Honorable mentions: Henry Deacon and Douglas Fargo.

#5 Doctor Emmett Brown


Christopher Lloyd is a man of a thousand faces but Doc Brown has to be my favorite. Wild eyed, crazy and never organised, Brown is the perfect mad scientist. I'd love to see him again, even if it's a cameo for a much needed Back to the Future sequel/reboot. Honorable mention: Mork from Ork (no connection to the good Doctor, but another man of a thousand faces and fav character).

#6 Crying Man Rembrandt Brown



The Crying Man, played by Cleavant Derricks, was a down on his luck singer who happened to get caught up in Quinn Mallory's sliding device on the show Sliders. Once again he provided the average man's point of view for all those strange alternate universes they traveled to. The show went down hill once they lost Professor Arturo (another favorite of mine). Thanks to bad writing and terrible show running, the Crying Man never did get a real break. I can only wish for a reboot to come along but I severely doubt it. Honorable mentions: Professor Arturo.

#7 Mr. Hikaru Sulu


Mr. Sulu also gave me the average guy feel, but when it comes to Star Trek, there are so many average guys and gals. There was something about his constant relaxed delivery, serious intensity and sometimes humorous flare that just made the guy stand out for me. Besides, actor George Takei is hilarious to follow on Twitter and Facebook. Honorable mentions:  Montgomery "Scotty" Scott,
Leonard McCoy and Nyota Uhura.
#8 Captain Jean-Luc Picard
 
 
Of all the wonderful stories shown in Star Trek the Next Generation, I'd have to say most of my favorites involved the good captain played by Sir Patrick Stewart,. And what a range he showed! From an out-of-place older man among children, to a violated person that was made to kill his friends, from someone who deeply sorrowed over great loss to someone who knew how to take charge. Maybe this is why "The Inner Light" is my fav episode? Honorable mentions: Geordi La Forge and Reginald Barclay.
 
#9 Agent Pete Lattimer
 
 
Eddie McClintock plays one of my new favorite Sci Fi heroes, Agent Pete Lattimer. He's cocky, wise cracking and fun. I swear I need to find a compilation video of Pete's best phrases because every episode of Warehouse 13 he comes up with several zingers. Honorable mentions: Agents Claudia Donovan, Myka Bering and Artie Nielsen.
 
#10 Al Calavicci
 
 
 
Al is a sometimes cranky, very superstitious everyman who appears as a hologram to time traveling Doctor Sam Beckett. Played by Dean Stockwell, He provides the comedy relief as he can see everything going on in the past but cannot touch anything or interact. He's fun and irreverent. Quantum Leap is another show I'd love a sequel/reboot to. Honorable mention: Doctor Sam Beckett.
 
 
Whew! So many! And I guess you can tell I'm a sucker for the average Joe type. Anyway, there's my personal favorite Sci Fi heroes. I left out comics because I could fill it up with the likes of the Green Lantern Corps, Legion of Super Heroes, Iron Man, the Metal Men and so on.
 
What's your favorites? Please let me know!

2 comments:

Alyce said...

I love Doctor Who, Star Wars and Star Trek, so I agree with many of your choices. Captain Picard would be tops on my list though - and Inner Light is my favorite episode of all time. The Doctor would be a close second, and thank goodness I can count him as one person, because choosing between the doctors is difficult. :) Fun post!

Scott Bryan said...

You gotta count him as 1. It would be unfair not to.
Thanks!