Monday, August 13, 2012

OMG! Mermaids are real?



I just watched a documentary on Animal Planet. Yes, you guessed it. It's called Mermaids : The Body Found. They were very convincing in their evidence and almost got me going except some of the experts clearly seemed to be acting and the "actual footage" was clearly false and in one case extremely computer generated.

They did a great job leading up to their results. Nice use of drama. Of course it's all bupkis. I mean there was beached sea life a few years ago and there was an unexpected "Bloop" sound recorded, but everything else was just pure fun.

I did some research and apparently many people thought it was real. I could see how they would because the docufiction was pretty compelling. Guess the government and NOAA (National Oceanic and  Atmospheric Administration) both had to issue statements that mermaids aren't real. Sigh. It's 1939 and the radio broadcast of HG Wells' War of the Worlds all over again.

Regardless, the docufiction sure got me in the mood to tweak my mermaid chapter in Myths. Sure, they may be fake in the real world, but in fiction, anything is possible!

No comments: