Saturday, December 09, 2006

Expensive Rejection

About a month ago an agent requested the entire novel before the coming weekend. She was very excited.
We spent $100 to get the whole thing (450 pages) over nighted across the country so she could have what others called a "weekend read".

A month later I just got the form letter rejection.
Why did she want it so quickly, costing me money I did not have, to just reject it like everyone else?

This isn't the first rejection and I'm sure it won't be the last. I'm feeling depressed today.
So many people get to create and share their creations with the world. Why am I blocked from doing the same?
I'm feeling a lot of self doubt today.

Just the other day I got a rejection where a different agent took her time and wrote me a note of encouragement. It still means a lot. I just feel very deflated from this other one.
Am I going to be a sub-par drafter with false aspirations of grandeur all my life?
What if everyone rejects it? What if I'm no good?

No comments: